The Great Tree Project, Phase 3 - conifers

Since finishing the Sikh regiment I've really lost my painting mojo.  This is partly due to real world happenings but I just don't have any enthusiasm for it. However, rather than do nothing I thought I'd get on with the next phase of The Great Tree Project.

This phase is all about conifers.  I've had a box of 25 Noch mixed size conifers for at least 20 years that need basing. Like the other Noch trees these have moulded on roots.  But unlike those they've  already got some texture on the trunks.  That saves some work which is always good.  

I followed a lot of the same processes as before (see here, here, here, here and here) and will only detail anything I did differently. 

Large bases cut out, locating pins added and trunks painted

I'd only got one large base left but on rooting through my hoard of useful bits I found some 2mm mdf board which I think was the back of a picture frame. It was easy enough to cut five more large bases using the bought one as a template.  For the single trees I used 32, 50 and 60mm bases.  My stash is severely depleted now. 

Based and bases textured ready for painting

I didn't glue three of the small and one large tree to their bases.  I'd pinned a small locating rod made of paper clips into the bottom of each tree and can use this to add a conifer to one of the other multi tree bases if I want.  I like this flexibility.  And if I want them to stand alone I made bases for each of them. 

Completed multi tree bases


I didn't add as much foliage to the bases as with the deciduous trees.  Conifers have a number of special properties to inhibit the growth of other plants nearby so I decided to reflect this with more bare earth on the base.  I did do a bit more drybrushing to add interest and compensate for this.

Close up of multi tree base

Completed single trees
Close up of spare single bases




  


And that's this lot done.  I may have mentioned this but I enjoy working on terrain as much as figures or vehicles.  It's more relaxing as you don't have to be so precise and I'm very much migrating to the school of thought that it's the terrain that makes a game look good far more than how good the figures are painted.

                                                               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors