The Great Tree Project, Phase Two - Preparation stage 2

I had to wait a full 2 days for all the trees to thoroughly dry from stage 1.  It seemed to have work as very little flock was now being shed when I handled the trees. The next stage was to improve on the tree trunks which was smooth shiny plastic and didn't look good.  The trees did have quite well done roots and as any horticulturist or arborist knows it's the roots that are important...

Before (L) with Green Stuff applied (R)

I used the same method as before.  Mix up some Green Stuff, pull it into thin layers and wrap this round the trunks pressing it down until the trunk was covered to the top of the roots.  It was then a case of randomly making marks on the putty to simulate a tree trunk's fissures.  This was a relatively quick but not so painless process as I found by the time I'd done all 25 my finger tips were aching from working the putty into place! 

All 25 with putty and texture applied

I let these dry a full day and then painted  them using the same sludgey mix of Citadel Foundation Khemri Brown and P3 Bane Base I'd used before.  I heavily drybrushed these with VMC Khaki and once dry applied a wash mixed from VGC Pale Grey wash, AP Dark Tone and a touch of AP Mid Brown.  I allowed them to dry overnight and then applied a final lighter drybrush of Khemri Brown and AP Ash Grey. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors