The hobby week - 20 August to 26 August

I've had a varied week hobby wise with a bit of everything and it's been very enjoyable. 

Gaming

  • I finally got round to playing an Algerian War game, using Ambush Alley rules.  Read the AAR here.  

Painting/modelling  

  • I've completed the Great Escape Games plastic gunfighters.  These seemed to take no time at all and were really enjoyable to paint.  Have a look here.

  • I've been working on my 10mm Punic Wars collection bases again.  I spent some time on these last year, but have reworked them to go with my current thinking which is actually going back to my original thinking!  I'm not indecisive at all.  I've now recut the card sabot bases so all foot are based four figures in two ranks of two on 20mm square bases and cavalry are two to a 20mm square base.  This gives a lot of flexibility for a number of rulesets and makes them far more usable and easier to handle for a game being the same size as one 25mm figure base. 

Research & Reading

  • I've really got into the Classical periods again.  This week I've read Lake Trasimene 217 BC, an Osprey Campaign.  This is an overview really of Hannibal's victory, but has some good background on weapons and troop types.  There's three very nice double-page spread colour plates too. 

  • I've been looking at Ancients rules again and have decided to try a modified Warhammer Ancient Battles and see how it goes, hence my tweaking the 10mm collection bases.  This has partly been influenced by what I've been reading, but also by listening to The Ancient Warfare podcast, of which I've got hundreds to catch up on.

Incoming!

  • On the way home from work I noticed that the local branch of The Works had an art supplies sale, so a visit was called for.  There wasn't too much but I did pick up 35 assorted brushes for half price.  All sorts in the pack and you can't go wrong for £6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bolt Action - Algeria '57

City ruins scatter terrain

Back to the beginning - micro armour