Les Paras - Algerian War project update

I redid the basing for my French paras for the Algerian War this week.  I followed the same formula for the ALN fighters I've been working on (here and here).  

These were the first figures that I got for the Algerian War project back in 2012.  They are all by Elhiem and are hidden away in their Vietnam range.  I always found this a bit odd as they are classic Algerian era paras, with clothing and armament that you wouldn't have seen in Indo-China until the conflict was virtually over.  

I really like these figures and are the only figures that I know of that are really perfect for the Algerian War.  As they are wearing berets the only option was to paint them as paras of La Legion, so they depict either the 1er REP or 2er REP.  The legion wore their berets to distinguish themselves from the other para units who tended to wear the "Bigeard" cap in the field.

The legion paras, in particular the 1er REP, were considered to be among the best of the best within the already high standards of the French para units at the time,  Alas, following their involvement in the Generals' Putsch of 1961 the unit was disbanded.  Non, je ne regrette rien, apparently...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors