28mm Dark Age/Germanic warriors

As I was finishing off the Landsknechts at the end of last month, I finally started on the pack of Victrix Unarmoured Romans that I'd bought last year.  Having recently thoroughly enjoyed working on a batch of the Dark Age Archers (here) I was really  enthused to get on with these.  

My original idea was for a late 4th Century pre-Arthurian project as in James Wilde's Pendragon novels.  However, as with the other Dark Age warriors I've been doing, I've revised this to try and make them fairly generic, so as well as meeting the original brief they are more useable for a longer span of history.  

This set has an instruction sheet, which for these four I kept to.  This was a great improvement on earlier sets and it really sped up the process.  I still took notes of what parts I used for each figure so I don't have any duplicates when I start building more. 

I added some Little Big Man shield transfers and once I'd painted the shield rims they looked very nice.  This was the first time I've used these.  I used Battle System transfers for my recent Norse and they are good, but the LBM are nicer and easier to use.  They cost a lot more though.  Following the multi-use idea I'm not gluing the shields to any of these "generic" figures (hence the blobs of blue tack you might be able to see in the rear view photo).  I also didn't add any swords to the figures.  That means I can add  the large oval Roman shields if I want to use them that way and I'll buy a round shield pack and do them with later Dark Age designs to extend the "life span" yet further.  

I can only repeat what I've said about how much I like Victrix figures.  They pretty much paint themselves.  It's no exaggeration to say that as the final coat of varnish was drying on these I'd started on some more.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors