The hobby week - 31 December to 06 January

It's been a productive week hobby wise with a positive start to the year.  I'm keeping to the plan!

  • I assembled, based and blocked in the main colours for six 28mm Norse warriors for my Ragnarok project.  A few of them can also do double duty as Germanics for the Late-Roman project that I'm just starting on.  The majority of the parts came from the Victrix Dark Age Archers set, but I added in some spares from a Viking sprue and did some cutting and replacing of hands to make some bondi with hand weapons rather than all bowmen. 
Norse warriors in progress
  • I prepared and started painting a regiment of 10mm Ogre Ironguts for my Ogre Kingdoms Warmaster Revolution army.  Now I've got the method down it didn't take long to chip and cut each one off their group 3D printed base and mount on individual temporary bases for painting.  They're so close together on the printed bases that it's very tricky to get a brush between the figures without splodging paint on the adjacent figures which is a right pain in the rear. 
Ogre Ironguts in progress
  • The other thing I did was to think ahead and prepare some more bases for 28mm plastics.  I like to base these on 2ps as they add a bit of weight and I have loads of 2ps, so it seems daft to buy MDF bases for them which will cost more than 2p each!  After doing the bondi and making things harder than they needed to be, I stuck a load of 2ps to temporary bases, gave the edges a good thick coat of Humbrol enamel (any colour will do), painted this with a couple of coats of Vallejo German Camouflage Black Brown and then varnished it in Humbrol Gloss which is good and protective.  The final step was to varnish in Vallejo Satin to tone the gloss shine down.  There're all ready now for my next batch of 28mm.  
A nice busy workbench

Research & Reading

  • I've been reading Brigantia, the third and final book of Adrian Goldsworthy's Vindolanda trilogy.  It's only a few weeks since I finished the second one, The Encircling Sea.  I would normally wait a while till reading the next but I have a lot in my reading pile which is directly relevant to the projects I want to focus on this year so I decided to polish it off.

Incoming!

  • No purchases this week.  I've got plenty of minis to do and although Helion's various sales have sorely tempted me I've managed to resist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors