Mediterranean MDF buildings revamp pt2 - A spot of roofing

As described in the first part of this series one of the main things to deal with was the roofs.  The pantiles were too dark, too plasticky and too shiny!  Luckily I had the perfect paint to hand in the form of Dulux Sumatran Melody 2, a tin of which I'd had mixed up earlier in the year when doing the bases for my Algerian War figures.  

The original colours with one repainted roof

First off I used a smallish brush to cut in round the edges of the roofs, trying not to get any paint on any other parts.  Then with a 1 cm decorating brush I covered all the tiled roofs.  One of the great things about using emulsions is they dry very quick.  All of the Dulux paints I've had made up have been made with a matt finish and they really do give a pleasing flat matt. This stage didn't take long to do at all.

A pleasing matt basecoat

The next task was to add some contrast.  I mixed up Sumatran Melody 2 with Dulux colour matched to Vallejo Iraqui Sand at approximately a 2:3 ratio and gave the whole of the roofs a thorough drybrushing.

Once this stage was dry I gave each roof a wash of Army Painter Mid Brown thinned with a few drops of AP Mixing Medium.  This tones the depth of the colour down a bit.

The wash toned down the highlights a bit too much so I went back for a fourth and final stage to do another drybrush using the same mix as stage 2.  I paid particular attention to the edges of the roofs to try and add a good highlight adding a bit more of the Iraqui Sand for more contrast.

Finished pantiles

Next up was to work on the wooden gable/rake/fascia area of each roof.  I used a mx of AP Oak Brown and AP Ash Grey mixed to around 3:1 ratio and carefully painted each part.  This toned down the MDF quite well.  

Once this was dry I realised that the bottom of the overhanging areas needed painting.  I got out the Dulux colour matched to Vallejo Leather Brown and painted all these.  It then dawned on me that this was almost the same colour as the mix I'd made up from the AP paints!

Subsquently I used the Dulux Leather Brown and AP Ash Grey at approximately a 40:60 mix to add highlights to the wood.  And that was the roofs done.  

Comments

  1. I'm in the middle of doing the same with my buildings. I cheated, went with the AP wash first, then dry brushed a lighter tone. Then a healthy dollop of matt varnish to get rid of the shine. They realky are great looking buildings though, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, yes that's another way to do it. I'd like to see some pics when you're done.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully I'll get some photos up on my blog soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors