Jungle terrain 1 - scatter terrain bases

There's only one rule for terrain and that's you can never have too much.  This was very much the case when I revisited my box of jungle terrain in preparation for some French Indo-China War games that I'm planning.  I didn't have anywhere near enough for a good looking game.

These were made years ago for a 15mm game of Legends of the High Seas set on a desert island.  They've not had much use but I remember spending an enjoyable afternoon making them. 

I used them as templates for this new batch. The bases were cut from corrugated card and the undersides painted with cheap acrylic paint to help against warping. I used cheap household filler to fill the gaps at the edges that resulted from when I cut them out and slightly bevelled them.

They were then covered in PVA and dipped in a mix of sawdust, sand and Javis urban scatter.  This gave a nice mixed texture to work over.

All the bases were then painted a dark brown mixed from burnt umber acrylic craft paint with a touch of black and yellow ochre to get the right tone.  A drybrush of VMC US Khaki Drab was enough to bring out the texture and finish this stage.

For the foliage I started by adding flock and lichen which had been shredded into small pieces.

For the main undergrowth I added plastic aquarium plant pieces trimmed to size, the odd cheap Chinese eBay palm tree, with a few cheap Chinese trees used as foliage as I'd done for my 6mm hedging.

starting to look "jungly"

Next I added clumps of lichen.

looking more "jungly"

Finally I added some bushes and grass. 

and finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors