Jungle terrain 3 - palm trees

These trees are made by Pegasus Hobbies bought many years ago. I painted the leaves and trunks and that was about it.  I'm in "jungle terrain build mode" so these were next for improvement.  As well as the objective of making the trees look better, the integral bases weren't that large or stable so they needed work. 

I cut some larger bases from a 1.5mm plastic sheet I had lying about. The plastic card and the undersides of the trees were scored repeatedly with an old craft blade to improve the bond and then PVA'd to each other.  

After a suitable drying time of a couple of hours I added household filler to the bases.  These were left to dry overnight.  If I'd have got to this stage earlier in the day they'd have been ready to work on after a couple of hours as the filler dries quickly enough.  

Next day I added the ground texture mix of mixed sand, sawdust, unused dry tea leaves and scatter material that I used for the scatter terrain.  Being very busy work wise that's all I had time to do so I left them to dry until the next day.

The basecoat was my usual mix of Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre and Black craft paint splodged on to bed the ground mix in nicely.  Drybrush of VMC US Field Drab and they were ready for the foliage which was the same blend used on the scatter terrain.  The pieces of plastic aquarium plants were PVA'd into holes I'd drilled into the bases with a pin vice. 

And here we have the finished trees. 


Next up is looking at what to put all these pieces on when I play a game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors