Early War Miniatures 20mm Pz IV H's

I started the month finishing off the 20mm Pz IVs from Early War Miniatures that I'd been painting in August. 

I bought this pair at Salute in April.  I didn't start working on them until June.  One of them had the wrong turret and it took a few attempts in contacting EWM to get the correct one sent through.  They're what I'd call classic wargames models.  Made of resin hulls with metal turrets, barrels and accessories they're sturdy and will take handling during a game well.  I think originally these may have been Skytrex models but if anyone knows for sure please leave a comment. 

They needed a fair bit of clean up but there's very little assembly to do, just glue the 75mm cannon barrel in and then add what stowage you want.  EWM provide a nice selection of stowage but I didn't add too much as the PzIVs in the photos I was looking at (from vehicles of the IV SS Panzer Korps on the Eastern Front in summer 1944), didn't have a lot on them.  I didn't add the cupola MG34 as I just knew it'd get broken off, and once again from the photos they didn't seem to be on every tank.  The commanders came with the kits and are nice figures.  

They're basecoated in an enamel mix of Humbrol 84 Matt Mid-Stone and 33 White that I've used for years to try and get that eternally debated Dunkelgelb.  The camo is Vallejo Flat Brown and Citadel Foundation Knarloc Green.  I just stipple this on and them tone it all down with dry brushing and washes.  I had just enough Humbrol and Knarloc Green left to do these and some 15mm I've been working on.  I'll have to source new Dunkelgelb and Green colours now.  

I'm happy with how they're turned out especially considering I haven't painted anything bigger than 6mm afvs for quite a few years.  When I first starting painting the wheels I found it incredibly annoying, as they aren't that well moulded, especially when compared to the clinically crisp 3D printed 15mm that I was doing at the same time.  Much of my collection is made of plastic kits which are also much crisper in detailing and proportions.  However, once I'd got the camo on and started the fun bit of adding depth and highlights I really enjoyed them.  In their own way they have a real charm about them and they are perfect for what they are - wargaming models.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Victrix late-Romans