March 2024 hobby update

It's been very busy this month in the real world and I was also away for the last week of March.  This meant that I only managed to get a few decent length hobbying sessions in with the majority of my hobbying done in odd minutes here and there.  

This is the only blog post I've managed this month as I've still not had time to take some decent pictures of the figures that I completed last month.  I'm hoping work will calm down in April and with the increased daylight I'm aiming to catch up, get some stuff finished and post more frequenly.

Completed

The only figures I completed were six Victrix Viking figures from the command sprue.  The sprue contained two Beserkers and as this month's entry for The Plastic Crack Podcast Online Painting Challenge (OPC) was to complete a champion this pair of bruisers fitted the bill.  Taking part in the OPC is working for me as it has helped me to focus.

In progress

Just before I went away I did make some good progress with the Unarmoured Late-Roman and Goth/Germanic command and these should be finished early April.  The Burrows & Badgers figures are nowhere near as complete.  I'd really like to get these done by Salute on 13th April as I bought them at last year's show but the focus is on the Romans and Goths.

I also started cleaning up the last six Victrix Dark Age Archers and a couple of figures from a Victrix Ancient Germans sprue and started painting the shields on a sprue of Victrix Armoured Late-Romans.  We're at the beginning of the end of the Late-Roman project now.

Finally just before I went away I made a start on cleaning up some of the 15mm Ancient Germans.  I'm looking forward to starting these as they're lovely little figures and I need a change from 28mm.

Ramblings, Reading & Research  

I read James Holland's Sicily '43.  I whizzed through this, which is always the sign of a good book.  It's typical James Holland - you know it's based on thorough research and is factually correct, but it's also written in a more engaging and accessible way than a lot of military history.   

I have a load of suitable 15mm in my Second World War Mediterranean collection and my brain was buzzing with scenario ideas as I read through.  I really need to sort my Med. terrain out this year and get playing. 

Incoming 

Four months without a drink, sorry I mean any miniatures purchased and I'm very pleased.  My only purchases have been:

  • Verrotwood The Old West.  I was always going to buy this and it was on offer over Adepiticon weekend costing only £6.33. Great set of rules for which I have loads of suitable figures already.  
  • Little Big Man late-Roman and Gothic/Germanic shield transfers.  Being tight I really agonised at spending £4.50 a set but I haven't the skill, patience or inclination to paint them to anywhere near the quality of the LBM ones I used on the Gothic warriors.  So rather than spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar I forked out and ordered four sets for all my Victrix figures waiting to be finished.  

I have some orders outstanding but otherwise my spending has been very restrained this year.  Let's see if this all  changes in April with Salute. 

Comments

  1. "The only figures I completed were six Victrix Viking figures from the command sprue." - finished figures are still finished figures, doesn't matter if it's one or eighty per month.

    "James Holland's Sicily '43." - I've been meaning to pick this up and a copy of The Scarlet Lancers, as I'm researching my grandfather's unit. I'll go and add the book to the Amazon cart now then.

    "Four months without a drink, sorry I mean any miniatures purchased" - you know the economy is slowing down, we as wargamers need to do all that we can to prevent that! 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

Back to the beginning - micro armour

Swamp scatter terrain