February 2024 hobby update

Once again it's been a very busy month.  At one stage in the month I really thought I wasn't getting anything done hobby wise and then looking back as I write this I've not done that badly.

Completed

I spent the first part of the month prepping for a game that I haven't yet had the chance to play.  This involved:

  • Weathering four Red Army Su-76Ms and two ISU-122/152s.  These are all 1/76th SHQ metal models that I made something like 20 years ago.  The ISUs are hefty pieces which you could brain someone with.  Lovely models. 
  • Working on city terrain.  I made a load more rubble/ruin scatter terrain, which you can see all about here.  I also added more weathering to the buildings and generally dirtied them up and cut out and painted a load of cobblestone sheets. 
  • 28mm Second World War German infantry.  I completed a squad of using a mix of Warlord Games Afrika Korps and German Grenadiers that I got free at Salute 2023.  I kept them very generic so they'll do as SS/security or post 1943 Heer.  I did enjoy doing these, Warlord make very nice Second World War sets.
  • Victrix Dark Age Archers. I'd made a start on five more of these last month and once I'd finished assembling them I knocked them out over a couple of painting sessions.  It takes me ages to do the assembly as I'm not only trying to make them all unique, but also fill in the gaps across three forces: Late-Romans, Goths and Norse.  Consequently I've been using bits from three different sets to make them.  I still need to do the shields for the Roman spearman but the three Goths and the Norse archer are complete.  

In progress

  • Taking positivity from completing the Victrix Dark Age Archers I started work on more Victrix from the plastic pile :
    • 12 Unarmoured Late-Roman command
    • 6 Viking command
  • I also cleaned up the four Burrows and Badgers figures that I added to the collection at Salute last year.  Beautifully cast, they required a minimum of clean up and I had them based in no time which is a bit different to a plastic figure.

Ramblings, Reading & Research  

The first book I read this month was Osprey Campaign, The Mareth Line 1943.  This gives a good introduction to the final campaign in North Africa, the Tunisian Campaign.  I would say this one of the better examples of the series.  It's written by Ken Ford so is engaging and the illustrations by Steve Noon are gorgeous. 

The rest of my reading time has been spent on volume one of "From the Realm of a Dying Sun" by Daniel E.Nash.  This is the first of his trilogy detailing the IV.SS Panzer Corps.  It's a damn fine read.  He's got the balance just right between the tactical, operational and strategic activities of the corps and divisions under command.  Its an incredible insight into how the Germans waged war at this late stage of the war.  The movement of troops and units between sectors and formations as they try to keep the Red Army at bay is bewildering.  Nash is no SS apologist, he keeps to the facts and I can't wait to read the next two volumes. 

Incoming 

I'm pleased to report that it's my third month without any miniatures purchased.  With the news that the Plastic Soldier Company will be releasing a plethora of vehicles and figures in smaller scales, I've been sorely tempted to get some samples but I'm going to wait and see how this develops.  I hope my quest for the right small scale miniatures for a larger scope game could be getting nearer. 

I have made some purchases:

  • Battlegroup Blitzkrieg book in PDF format.  This was only £6 and is a lovely book.  If I ever see it on offer I'll buy a physical copy.  I really like the Battlegroup products, full of good historical information and eye candy of lovely 20mm miniatures painted by Piers Brand.  A nice fella too, we've had a bit of communication this month.

  • Really useful boxes.  I've fallen in step  with every other gamer and bought a load of RUBs.  I got six 33.5 L boxes for £44 which I don't think is bad and a 5L one for a £5.  Anything to try and instil some order!
  • I bought the RUBs from Home Bargains where I also picked up a fleece blanket for three quid.  After seeing a post on the fantastic The Medetian Wars blog I've been wanting to try using fleece for a battle mat.  This was cheaper than getting a piece of fleece material.  
  • I enjoyed reading Douglas E Nash's From the Realm of a Dying Sun. and watching his incredible YouTube pieces on the destruction of the Dirlewanger brigade and the battles outside Warsaw so much, that I looked to see what else he'd done.  I managed to get a copy of Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp for only £8 which was pleasing.  This covers a German Volksgrenadier unit from the Hürtgen Forest to the end. 
  • I noticed my tufts stash was diminishing so I invested in a box each of mixed colour small and mixed colour medium tufts from Tajima.  I've tried other makes but I think Tajima's are best and the service is always excellent, unlike the Royal Mail who seem to be delivering very infrequently nowadays.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

Back to the beginning - micro armour

Swamp scatter terrain