November 2023 Hobby update

Quite a long update this month so buckle up and stick with it.  I felt that I spent last month going up a blind alley, but now I'm back on track.  I've finished a few things off and had a clear out which you can read about under Ramblings below.

Completed

I spent the first days of November finishing up the following:

  • Wargames Atlantic First World War Germans.  
  • Great War Miniatures First World War Germans
  • Warlord Games Second World War Winter Germans repurposed as First World War. 
You can see more photos and read about my thoughts on the above here.

I then polished off some more Victrix figures:
  • I completed five more of the Dark Age Archers that have been sitting around for awhile.  I made two as generic Dark Age warriors and one as a Gothic archer.  The other two I combined with parts from the late-Roman Archers sprue (see below) to make some staff slingers. 
  • While working on the above I made up the Late Roman Archers and Slingers sprue that I had.  These are absolutely lovely figures and a joy to work on. 
  • I kept one Wargames Atlantic WW2 German Sentry figure to paint as a test apparition with a ghost colour scheme.  It's come out OK but I'm not completely convinced so will have another try at this.
  • I finally completed the two NorthStar Elves that have been sitting around for ages.  Once I knuckled down I got these done quite quickly and enjoyed working on them.  I'll probably add a design to the shield at a later date but for the minute they're done.

In progress

Here's what's on the table as we finish November:

  • From previous months:
    • Warlord Games farm animals.  I still haven't touched these since I assembled them a couple of months ago.
  • Started on this month:
    • I cleaned up the legs and torsos and based half a dozen Victrix Unarmoured Late-Romans. This time I'm actually going to make them as Late-Romans.

Ramblings, Reading & Research

I took stock this month and subsequently put a load of stuff on eBay.  I'd gone plastic happy in the last year buying sprues willy nilly.  I decided to only keep those which were for an active project and/or the best quality.  I managed to get the following out the door: 

  • 27 Wargames Atlantic WW2 German Sentries.  I enjoyed doing a couple of sprues of these as Feldgendarmerie but I had no desire to do any more.
  • 12 Perry Miniatures ACW.  I'd bought a few mixed frames of these last year intending to kitbash them with Northstar Cultists.  There's such a difference in size this wasn't possible so they were sitting there and would never get used.
  • 6 Victrix Dark Age Archers.  I moved a frame of these on as I've built enough and have a few more left.
  • 4 Wargames Atlantic Late Romans.  I bought these to see how they compared to the Victrix Late Romans.  They don't hold a candle to them, enough said. 
  • 30 Wargames Atlantic First World War British.  I bought a box of these when I was on the AWT hype train.  I was very disappointed with them with their inaccurate '08 pattern equipment, weapons not very  reflective of late war Brits etc etc.  I'm pleased that I bought these on pre-order special as I didn't lose much and after seeing a few comments about how they're quite torturous to work on I've even more pleased I got shot. 
  • All in all I moved 79 plastic figures out the door.  I lost a little bit of money on them, but not enough to worry me and more importantly I had no enthusiasm to do any that I sold.  It was more important to have the head space than the money.
  • I also sold off a dozen painted and based Wargames Atlantic First World War Germans.  I've always been in two minds about these figures from when I built them a few years ago.  I kept hold of them with the thought of using them for A War Transformed.  With the disappointment of that, it was time to move them on.  I've got another dozen which I may sell. 

Onto reading.  

I read Peter Hart's The Great War.  I've read a few First World War books over the years and wanted to read a good single volume to refresh my limited knowledge.  Alex Sotheran at Storm of Steel recommended this and it's a great read.  It's exactly what I wanted, which is a great overview of all the main theatres.

I also read The Bear King,  the final part of James Wilde's Pendragon trilogy.  I didn't enjoy this as much as the other two, not really sure why.  It's been a good trilogy though and I thoroughly recommend it. 

I took a photo of some of the factual reading pile. At  my current rate there's about a years worth here. That's without the inevitable historical rabbit holes I'll be dragged down or including any fiction.  I need to give up work.  

Incoming!

This month it's mostly been all about books.  First of all I picked up these from World of Books. 

Then this Osprey, which is one of the good ones.  The colour plates are excellent and the text is pretty good too.

Finally I invested in Helion's second and third volumes about Tudor armies.  I've had the first one since it came out and these form a very nice trilogy covering one of my favourite periods of history.

I picked up a PDF of the Goblin Trailer Park rules by Mike Crutchett who wrote Verrotwood which I really like.  I'm not really sure why I bought these, I think it was the title amused me and they cost £1.60 which isn't worth worrying about is it.

As we're now in the six months limited light season in the UK I decided to use some Hobbycraft vouchers from work and a birthday voucher from Hobbycraft to get another lamp.  While I was ordering I also got a set of brushes and some Revell paints.  I liked the Revell paints I used for my French helicopters.  I probably wouldn't use them on anything finely detailed, but for vehicles, buildings and undercoating they're fine.  The lamp is £20 well spent.  It's very light weight with a small foot print and a longish tube light with four settings and is proving very useful already, extending my hobbying time and helping with photography. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors