1/300th afvs for the South African Border Wars

A recent post detailed my new South African Border Wars project.  Here's my initial batch of completed vehicles. 

They're all from Scotia Grendel.  I bought one of each just to see what they were like and I'm not disappointed in any way.  They're lovely models, just enough detail for the scale, well cast with little clean up needed and at a competitive price. 

First up the Angolan/Cubans.  As would be expected all these vehicles are of Soviet origin.  

Here we have the South Africans Defence Force (SADF) selection.  Scotia were the only manufacturer I found which did a comprehensive range of South African vehicles in any scale.  

These were easy to paint.  Everything was sprayed with Humbrol White, although I ran out and had to brush prime a few with Humbrol White enamel.  The Angolan/Cuban armour was painted in Vallejo Model Colour (VMC) Russian Green, then highlighted with Army Painter (AP) White added to the Russian Green.  They were than washed in AP Military Shader. 


The SADF armour was base coated in VMC US Field Drab. White was added to this for the highlight and then an AP Soft Tone wash was added.  I then painted all the tracks, wheels and some other details in AP Black.  I highlighted the tyres with VMC German Uniform and the tracks with a light VGC Boltgun Metal drybrush.  The windows in the vehicles were painted with Vallejo Air Luftwaffe Blue. 

All the vehicles apart from the two Elands (on the left side of the SADF photos) are based on 20x40mm 2mm thick MDF bases.  I pondered long and hard on how to base these but I had a lot of these size bases to hand as they are Warmaster standard and I also used then for my Sikh Wars cavalry.  They have worked brilliantly as they are big enough to fully protect the models including long tank cannons, without the need to touch the models at all.  They're also big enough to add some foliage.

I tried to represent the Namibian bush(South West Africa as it was) with the bases.  The bases were skimmed over with Vallejo Thick Mud paste.  They were then painted with Citadel Dheneb Stone and then drybrushed with patches of craft paint Yellow Ochre, VMC Green Ochre, Iraqui Sand, Dark Sand and Light Sand just to give contrast.  Finally I added some patches of Javis 2mm Autumn Grass and then some tiny pieces of different shades of home made foliage.  

This selection gives me a starting point from which to develop the forces.  One of the many benefits of micro armour is the cost savings.  Even if they had been available, it wouldn't have been financially feasible for me to have ordered "one of each" in any other scale.  All of these go into a video cassette  box with room for more which is also a great benefit of the scale.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors