The hobby week - 24 September to 30 September

If anyone was wondering why there's been  no updates I've been away for the past two weeks.  I didn't take any hobby bits with me  which was just as well as we were out everyday and it was good to have a complete break.  

One of the highlights was a trip to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby.  As well as a superb tour of the hangar viewing the majority of the flight's historic aircraft, we were fortunate enough to see a number of RAF Typhoons taking off, landing and taxiing as they went off and came back from training flights and patrols.  However, the icing on the cake was to see the Lancaster go through it's pre-flight routines, taxi away and then in the air.  I feel incredibly lucky to have seen this special aircraft close up. 

Painting/modelling  

  • First week back after being away is always a bit slow, but I've made some more progress with the 1/48th Sopwith Camel.  I'm not sure if it's the kit or me but some of the assembly is a bit off.  Hopefully filler and a decent paint job will hide it.

Research & Reading

  • I loaded up my iPad before we went away and spent a bit of time reading though some PDFs.  I've been reading Warmaster Revolution, but also had a good look at the Werewolf: The Savage Age books I'd bought a few years ago.  I am a big fan of Werewolf: The Apocalypse (I can't believe it's 30 years since I bought the rules) and the historical versions and I have scores of the World of Darkness titles in hard copy and PDF.  I've always wanted to try and work out a table top version.  Another project to distract me!
  • Before you all think I've lost my historical marbles and gone full on fantasy, I've started reading Pax Romana by Adrian Goldsworthy.  I really enjoyed his historical fiction novel Vindolanda, so decided to read one of his factual books.  I'm really enjoying it, it helps to fill in some of the many knowledge gaps I have of the Roman world. 

Incoming!

  • Before I went away I placed an order  with MGS Miniatures for 10mm Warmaster Revolution Ogre and Chaos Dwarf armies  This arrived very swiftly and as with my sample order I'm very impressed all round.  I've now got close on 300 10mm miniatures to paint.  I suppose that qualifies as a resin mountain.
  • I bought the PDF version of the rules The Three Ages of Rome from Helion as they had a sale on all their wargames titles.  I've only really glanced through it so can't give much of an opinion on it yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

Back to the beginning - micro armour

Swamp scatter terrain