WW2 Italian campaign base makeover part 1

Completing the hills and rocky scatter has now given me some terrain for my WW2 Italian Campaign project.  I've had a reasonable collection of 15mm Battlefront miniatures sitting about doing nothing for more years than I want to admit to.  There was no excuses now not to have a game, so it was time to get them out and take stock.

My Axis force consists of:

  • 1xGebirgsjäger platoon
  • 1xFallschirmjäger platoon with additional command teams
  • 1xFallschirmjäger 20mm Flak platoon
  • 1xFallschirmjäger Mortar section
  • 1x88mm Flak Platoon 
  • 2xSemovente 75/34 assault guns
  • 2xHornisse tank destroyers

I'd never really felt like I'd finished the bases, so I decided to bring them in-line with the terrain pieces.  I followed a simpler version of the colour scheme I used for the rock scatter terrain, with just a base coat of Dheneb Stone followed by a single drybrush of Iraqui Sand.  I finished them off by gluing on small pieces of different shades of homemade clump foliage as I did with the scatter terrain pieces. 

Gebirgsjäger platoon

I turned these around quite quickly.  I have a lot of bases to do, hence my decision to use a simpler palette and process.  It was a compromise between making them look better but also not making the task too onerous.  The hardest part was trying not to get too much paint on the figures as I painted round them.  The bases look much better and there's a cohesive look developing across the terrain and the miniatures for this project now. 

Fallschirmjäger force with 88's

Next up will be the Allied forces.

Comments

  1. Good looking collection of forces you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I haven't had them out the boxes for a couple of years and was pleasantly surprised when I got them out! They all look at bit better now too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors