The hobby week - 19 March - 25 March

The real world impacted heavily on hobby time this week.  However, after a bit of time in the doldrums I rallied and got a few things done.  The blog is a year old today and I wrote a piece about it here

Painting/modelling  

  • I spent some more time on the Algerian/Mediterranean hills that I was working on last week, adding washes and highlights to improve the appearance.  I just can't get them to blend with the gaming cloth I bought last month so I put this batch to one side.  I think I need to take the cloth  down to Homebase and get some paint made up.  
  • While I had the bag with all the polystyrene in it down from the loft, I cut and shaped more hills.  I also added texture and gave them a coat of emulsion to seal them.  I'm hoping once I get the right colour paint it'll be a quick job to finish them.  I have learnt that painting blocks of polystyrene is amazingly therapeutic.  
Hot wire fun
  • To get me back in the swing of things I cleaned up and started painting a few Newline Designs 20mm British infantry for the Sikh Wars.  After a turbulent couple of weeks in the real world it was comforting to get back to this project.  I'd previously documented how I painted them, so it's a nice job to just do some painting without too much thinking.

Research and reading

  • I've been doing a bit of research into Ancients and in particular Biblical wargaming.  I think it's the impending release of Strength and Honour that's done it.  I really like the idea of the massed battle with tiny figures.  If fits the "small scale, big scope" aspiration I've had for a long while.  I'm just not enthused by the Romans much.  I will be monitoring it carefully though.  I seem to be forever looking for the perfect project - you know the one which is the right period, scale, manufacturer and rules all coming together.
  • Not really research but I have spent a bit of time sorting out my military history and wargaming PDFs.  I have hundreds of titles, to the point of not really knowing what I have got!  I've actually bought hard copies of stuff I had on PDF which is pretty dumb.  

Incoming!

No new stuff arriving this week.  I did finally print off my copy of Chain of Command so that's like having something new isn't it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors