The hobby week - 12 March - 18 March

Quite an unproductive week on the hobby front, too much going on in the rest of my world. 

Gaming

  • I had a couple of hours free and I didn't feel like working on anything so I had a game.  I played Ambush Alley set in Algeria, not as you might have expected in the 1950s/60s but in the 1880s.  Read about it here.  

Painting/modelling  

  • I did manage to get some hills cut out, textured and and a base coat done.  They will be used for Algeria and Mediterranean games.   I'll do a post on how I made these once they're complete.  It's early days and as seen in the photo I'm still trying to get the colour scheme right!

Research

  • The only benefit of having to commute again is more reading time.  This week I read "At the Edge of the World" about the French Foreign Legion from 1830 to 1930.  An enjoyable read, nowhere near as in-depth as Martin Windrow's marvellous "Our Friends Beneath the Sands", (which is double the size) but well worth it.
  • I've been doing a little bit of research into 19th Century conflicts.  I'm thinking very much along the lines of something small in scale but large in scope as a next project.  

Incoming!

Like buses all three of the orders that I've been waiting for arrived at the same time this week.  
  • First up was an order from Newline Designs for my Sikh Wars project.  This gives me all the remaining figures I need to field a small brigade size force for each side.  It also gives me a Lead Hillock which is something I'm not accustomed to dealing with!
  • On the same day a copy of "Jungle of Snakes" a book about counterinsurgency warfare arrived.  The postage cost more than the book which is mad, but it's going to be an interesting read covering 100 years of counterinsurgency operations. 
  • And finally, a couple of packs of 6mm MDF ACW figures from Commission Figurines were the last to hit the door mat.  I listened to Walt on the God's Own Scale podcast and was intrigued so ordered a few packs.  I've only just got them so too early to give a considered opinion.  
This week's goodies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors