The French Wars of Decolonisation and I - part 2

Part 1 of this rambling story told of how I had first become interested in the French Indo-China and Algerian Wars.  We'd left it where I had moved onto other periods specifically late World War 2 Eastern Front.  

We're now into the early 2000's.  I'd been very focused on building up a collection of 1/76th WW2 figures.  True to form I went off on a tangent after discovering the splendid 1/6th action figures from Dragon and started collecting these.  It wasn't long before I started kitbashing FIC and Algerian figures using WW2 items.  Now the Internet proved useful and I was procuring from all over.

This had given me an outlet for my interest but I still was yet to wargame the period.  Then a couple of things happened around the same time at the end of 2005.  A local hobby shop opened and I found a Matchbox 1/76th M24 and then I discovered Liberation Miniatures.  Praise be!  Liberation did a specific Indo-China range.  Not a Vietnam range a specific First/FRENCH Indo-China War range.  An order soon went in and at last I was on the way.  

Liberation Miniatures French Paras

Finally I was collecting The French Indo-China War.  I built up a platoon each of French paras and their Viet Minh opponents with some support options.  Some terrain was added and I even got a few games in over the years.  

Liberation Miniatures Viet-Minh

Collecting for Algeria was a different matter entirely.  No-one did a specific range.  It was a few years later that I discovered Elhiem and buried in their Vietnam range were some French paras.  These are far more suitable for Algeria than Indo-China armed as they are with MAS 49/56 rifles and AA52 lmgs.  Not many of them in Indo-China!  However, they're lovely figures perfect for paras of the 1 or 2REP in Algeria. 

Elhiem French paras

But there still wasn't any specific ALN figures to be had anywhere and the project was mothballed yet again. 

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors