Ins and outs, each to their own

Last week has seen some comings and goings. I finally decided to sell the 100 or so Venexia 15mm Italian Wars figures that I bought on a whim in January.  I listed them on eBay Tuesday afternoon and when I got up Wednesday morning they'd already sold.  That left me with no figures, yes 0 figures to paint, a position I haven't been in for 23 years or so.  I must admit although I like to operate on a very manageable ie. one or two months worth of figures to paint, this had gone too far and I was left feeling slightly out of sorts weird as that may sound.

Thankfully this uneasy situation didn't last long as on Friday my order from Newline Designs arrived. 24 regular Sikh infantry, 24 Sepoys and four British infantry to be used as skirmishers.   That'll keep me going nicely until I go on holiday in a couple of weeks and for a bit when I get back.  

Why did I sell the Italian Wars figures?  I don't have a lead mountain so I’d had plenty of opportunities in the nine months since I bought them to start on the figures and I'd prioritised other projects instead.  The Sikh Wars figures I started on the day they were delivered. 

I suppose one of the things this tells me is don't be enticed by offers UNLESS it's something that you were GENUINELY considering buying anyway.  I lost a little on these so it wasn't a saving at all in the end.  

I've had a passing interest in The Italian Wars for many years ( I even did a school project on landsknechts), but I can't say it's anything I've read about in any great detail in recent years.  A real interest in the history of the period was missing for me.   (One of the three questions).

Additionally, I already have a 16th Century Pike & Shot collection in the form of my fictional Spanish Invasion of Elizabethan England/Dutch Revolt/French Wars of Religion project.  Would an Italian Wars project give me anything particularly different to game? (Another of the three questions).

Finally when it came to it I was a bit underwhelmed by the Venexia figures.  I think I'd read so many good things that I was expecting to be really wowed but unfortunately wasn't.  Perfectly good but just didn't grab me.  Chacun à son goût as they say over the Channel. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors