Historian, painter, gamer, collector? - a nod to The Yarkshire Gamer

I always listened to music when painting but during the extended time at home I've turned more and more to podcasts and YouTube.  Perhaps since my social contact has been so reduced it's a need that is being fulfilled.  I'm amazed at how much wargames stuff is out there.  

I'm playing catch up but I'm especially fond of The Yarkshire Gamer aka. Ken Reilly's output.  All of his updates are interesting and the marathon Reet Big Wargames Podcasts where he interviews people from the hobby are particularly worth catching.  

Ken sounds like the sort of chap that you could have a great chat and a nice cup of tea with (it'd have to be Yarkshire mind) or probably something a bit stronger.  Although his main thing is great big battles with 28mm figures and a number of players (which through various reasons is almost the polar opposite of  where I'm at), his collection is inspirational and his enthusiasm and warmth shine through.  

Anyway one thing that got me thinking is when Ken asks his guests where they sit on the Venn diagram of wargamers?  Are they gamers, painters, collectors or historians?  This is a really interesting question.  One of the great things about the hobby is that it is multi-faceted and there's so much to enjoy.

For myself I thought I'd find this quite easy to answer.  It's the history that gets me first.  I have to be interested in a period before I invest in figures.  I would say painting is next.  I really enjoy the physical act of painting,  It's also very therapeutic.  However, here it gets trickier.  I love miniatures but would I just collect them?  And finally I play infrequently so the gaming aspect can't be the raison d'être for doing it all can it?  

Well actually the gaming aspect is very important to me.  All the figures I've bought and painted in a myriad of scales and periods over the years, have been collected with a game in mind.  I do like to think that what I'm working on will get used.  I also always collect with a rule set or historical orbat to guide me.  Therefore, although I spend a small fraction of my hobby time gaming, the thought that there will be a game is still an important factor that shapes the other aspects.  The question is therefore: Is gaming the most important thing after all?

Glad that's cleared up.

Comments

  1. Many thanks for the kind words. The Venn Diagram of Wargaming certainly gets people thinking, even if it's only a desperate scramble to recall what a Venn Diagram is !

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha yes I had to use the magic of t'internet to remind me. Thanks Ken.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors