Barbarossa - 28mm Bolt Action

It's 80 years since the launch of Operation Barbarossa, the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union. Without question this was one of the key events of World War 2 and world history. To mark this I decided to play a small game of Bolt Action representing a German unit feeling its way forward in the first days of the operation.

This was a great chance to use a lot of the new stuff that I've been working on. It was the debut for my Red Army platoon, KV-1 and Pz-111, which were my first lockdown projects last year,  and also for the German Heer platoon I built a couple of years ago. It was also the perfect opportunity to get my newly based trees out for a game and use the artificial turf mat that my wife kindly picked up for me a few years ago. And I got to use the Bolt Action dice I made earlier in the year.

The battle at the end of Turn 1

It's been awhile since I played so I went with small 550 pt forces each side, giving four teams/order dice for the Germans and six teams/order dice for the Red Army. I use EasyArmy to work out my forces, the PDFs are here for those interested. To help add some randomness I marked each dice to designate a particular team and I had to play that team when their dice was drawn. I chose to go for a straightforward 6 turn Meeting Engagement as per the rules. 

German squad on the attack

I won't give a turn by turn account. It was a vicious encounter with the Red Army drawing first blood in Turn One, but then having a squad almost wiped out in response the next turn. This set the precedent for the remainder of the battle. The encounter was completely different on each side of the battlefield with the Red Army prevailing and wiping out a German squad on their right, but being decimated and routing on their left. 

The Heer on the march!

The two tanks spent a couple of turns exchanging shots  with little effects. After surviving a close assault by a German squad, the KV-1 finally brewed up the Pz-111 in Turn Four. The KV-1 was just moving on the remaining German squad when we reached Turn Six and the game ended. 

KV-1 surviving an infantry assault

Like Barbarossa it had been a brutal combat. Only seven Red Army infantry and the KV-1 had survived. Eight Germans had survived. Toting up the victory points it meant that the  Red Army had destroyed two German units, and the Germans had also destroyed two units, the battle was inconclusive so was declared a draw. 

Red Army anti-tank rifle team

This was an enjoyable game. Bolt Action is good fun and I'm sure if you played regularly you'd zip through the turns.

I was pleased with all my new toys. As it's meant for outdoor use the mat has a sturdy plastic backing and holds the underlying surface well, but you can also put stuff underneath to avoid a flat bowling green look. It does need painting though and this is something I'll get on with soon. With the based trees it gives a good alternative to getting my terrain boards out the loft. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors