A good idea at the time - rebasing my Franco-Prussian War collection

Another project I've been meaning to do for a long time was to rebase my 15mm FPW collection. I'm very fond of these.  They were first figures I bought when I started wargaming again in 1997/98. They're all Essex Miniatures (who appear to be a bit of a "Marmite" manufacturer for a lot of people), but I think that Essex have a fantastic offering and their FPW range is one of their best. However, when I looked at mine compared to what I can do now, they don't look great. The painting isn't too bad but the bases were my own cut out of plastic card and covered in flock and very basic!

Original basing - French and Prussian

The figures were based for the rules "They Died for Glory" by Dave Waxtel. They use single rank 4 or 5 figure basing which I always through was a little odd. Originally I had to adjust the bases as I couldn't fit most of the poses into the specified sizes and I did similar this time. Infantry got a 12.5mm x 12.5 mm space and cavalry a 15mm x 30mm space. I got on to the Warbases website and ordered up a selection of combinations for 4 figure, 2 figure and single bases for the infantry and 2 figure and singles for the cavalry. I also ordered a sample 100mm x 25mm movement tray. As ever the service from Warbases was excellent and I had my bases within 3 days of ordering. 

I usually add texture to a base by covering with watered down PVA and then adding a sand mix. This  really needs to be left overnight to harden so it slows down the process. With so many bases to do, I wanted something to speed this up and I got hold of some Vallejo Model Color Earth Textures in the Dark Earth shade. While this wasn't the magic weapon I had hoped for (it needed two applications to build the texture up), it did dry quickly and saved me having to paint the sand. It comes in a 200ml jar and I probably used 2/3rd for this project so plenty to go. Overall it was worth the £9.50 I paid Amazon for it.

Prussian battalion on their new base with the VJ Dark Earth applied

Here's the steps in the process:
  1. Pop off all the figures from the plastic card bases. Luckily this was quite easy to do as I may have only used something like Loctite to glue them with. There was only a few where I had to destroy the plastic card to get them off. I've kept all the old bases as plastic card is always useful.
  2. Organise the figures into units. This was more or less done but I did swap a few poses about to try to get a better blend and fit especially on the 4 figure/2 rank bases.
  3. Glue the rear rank to the bases (with super glue this time, I have no desire to repeat this!)
  4. Add a layer of Vallejo Model Color Earth Texture around these figures on the rear of the base. I used an old suitably shagged out brush to stipple and gloop it on.
  5. Glue the front rank to the bases 
  6. Add a layer of Model Color Earth Texture around these figures and blend in to the rear rank.
  7. Repeat step 6 to build up the level of mud across the whole base.
  8. Drybrush the bases with Vallejo Game Colour Earth 
  9. Dab on PVA and add static grass - I think it's a summer shade but can't remember the make.
  10. After waiting overnight brush the bases with an old brush. I was amazed at how much grass came away. I managed to recover this and put it back in the pot for another time.
  11. Drybrush with Vallejo Model Colour Iraqi Sand 
  12. Paint the base edges with Army Painter Oak Brown.
  13. Paint the movement trays Army Painter Oak Brown.
Blurry French dragoons. In focus bases  -  left at stage 7, right at stage 8.

I completed each stage for all the figures. This may not have been great for my morale as by the time I got up to step 7 with the French (I started with the Prussians) I was beginning to get a bit sick of it. However, I stuck to it. Having some leave from work helped as it meant I could do an hour or so and then have a break. 

The re-based collection.

I did spend a frustrating hour or so looking at making my own movement trays for the infantry, but for the cost of around six quid I ordered them from Warbases.  The figures will now work for "Black Powder" as well as "They Died for Glory". They also look a lot better. I've read quite a few people say that a good base counts for a lot and I agree. There was certainly little to be gained from repainting the collection. Another one of those jobs ticked off the to do list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

City ruins scatter terrain

28mm Victrix Late-Roman Archers and Slingers

More 28mm Dark Age warriors